9th Annual XtremeBigAir's KiteXPO April 22 – 24, 2011 - Pismo Beach - California
Brought to you by The Kiteboarder Magazine and XtremeBigAir.com
KiteXPO 2011 will be Friday April 22 – 24, 2011
The 9th Annual Pismo Beach Kite and SUP Expo April 22 – 24, 2011 was a great success
This year’s event is the same location of last year at Grand Ave. Park in the lot by Fin’s Restaurant for free, or you can drive on the beach, downwind of the event area for $5/day.
New KiteXPO location this year!
The forecast is looking great for the 9th Annual Pismo Beach Kite and SUP Expo April 22 – 24, 2011.
- Registration will be at the 26″ trailer, sponsored by luv2camp.com. Look for the Xtreme Big Air and The Kiteboarder flags. Use the sidewalk that runs parallel to Grand and next to Fin’s restaurant to enter.
- All registrants must be intermediate level kiteboarders able to go upwind and self rescue. You should also feel comfortable navigating and riding in tight conditions. All registrants must sign waiver and provide credit card info in case of damage due to negligent usage or loss of gear. All credit card info is destroyed immediately following the event. Registration is from 8:45a until 3p daily.
DEMO HOURS FOR SUP AND KITE, RAFFLE TIMES
- SUP will be available for demo from 9a until 12noon or whenver the wind starts blowing.must be set up no later than 9a daily. Demos will run until 12p or whenever the wind starts blowing.
- Kite and accessory vendors will be ready starting at 11a. Official kite demo hours are 12p to 5p.
LUV2CAMP.com - http://luv2camp.com/whatWeDo.html is a great alternative if you want to camp on the beach!
Stand Up Surfing - SUP Demos!
A great way to get your water fix and exercise when there’s no wind, the SUP demo portion of the event will take place between 9a to 12 noon daily. Confirmed participants SUP Accessory: DaKine,C4, Naish, Surf Industries, Paddlesurf Hawaii (pending) and still growing!
- * Registration: Daily from 8:45a until 2p
- * Demo Hours: 9a to 12p or whenever the wind starts blowing!*
- * Skill Level: Use at your own risk. Need to be comfortable in the ocean, aware of others.
- * Other: Must sign waiver and provide credit card info security deposit to demo gear. Demos limited to 20 minutes unless otherwise arranged with vendor.
Free Demo 2011 Gear and Accessories!
Kite Demo Hours: 12p to 5p.
With all the new innovations in kiteboarding, you won’t want to miss KiteXpo 2011!
Come test all the latest 2011 gear FOR FREE at the KiteXpo 2011 in Pismo Beach, California. Located halfway between Los Angeles and San Francisco, Pismo Beach is a perfect venue for a testing event. Pismo offers a wide sandy beach and 8 miles of coastline; enough room for manufacturers to showcase their full 2011 line and plenty of space for you to test all the new stuff! Don’t miss this opportunity to meet directly with kiteboarding manufacturers and ride the newest equipment at one of California's best and most consistent kiteboarding locations.
REQUIREMENTS FOR TESTING
Kitexpo is a free demo event open to intermediate level riders. You
must be able to go upwind consistently and be able to do an ollie as a
minimum to participate. Registration is from 9a until 3p daily and
demo hours are from 9a until 5p daily.
You will first need to register and sign a waiver. You will also need a driver’s license and credit card to complete your registration. You will be given a wrist band to show you have formally registered. To test the gear, you need to give the manufacturers either your driver’s license, passport or credit card. They will return your ID or card when you return the gear.
This year’s event will include a special fundraising effort for Pismo Beach KiteXpo’s founder Kinsley ThomasWong of Xtreme Big Air in Pismo Beach, CA. Kinsley was involved in a serious kiteboarding accident on the Central Coast of California on July 15, 2010. While he has made amazing progress so far, his road to recovery has been very costly.
Kinsley has elevated so many lives with his amazing spirit and stoke for life. As one of the early kiteboarders and first IKO certified instructors in the United States, he has promoted the sport passionately, always treating people like long lost friends whether you just met him or had known him for years.
You can help support Kinsley in a number of different ways:
- Come to the KiteXpo!
- Buy raffle tickets: Depending on what donations we receive, we plan on having the daily raffles at the event with grand prizes given away Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. We will also be auctioning some larger ticket items on EBay. Items will not be limited to kite gear only. See below for details.
- Come join the festivities at the Saturday night BBQ/Bonfire with live music this year. Just $15 per plate for a killer BBQ and drink catered by Maui Mike and his family from the Bay Area.
- Support the Xtreme Big Air Store: You can still get great deals from Kinsley on kite, paragliding, and SUP gear and accessories. www.xtremebigair.com
- Purchase some award winning wine at near 50% off discounted pricing! Dan Tudor, owner and winemaker of the prestigious Tudor and Radog Wines, has very generously donated 100 cases of wine with 100% of proceeds going to the Kinsley ThomasWong Donation Fund! These are superior wines with high review ratings from a preeminent winemaker. http://kinsleydonation.weebly.com/wine.html
*Many people have asked how they can support Kinsley by donating products or services such as original/limited edition artwork, cases of wine, computer services, accommodations, etc. If you would like to donate an auction item valued at $250 retail or more, please contact email@example.com with “Kinsley Auction” in the subject line no later than Friday, March 19, 2011.
Directions to the KiteXPO 2011 at Pismo Beach:
Click for Driving Direction to GRAND Avenue - KiteXPO
Traveling south on US Hwy 101 from San Francisco and the Bay Area:
- Take 4th Street exit in Pismo Beach.
- Turn Left onto 4th Street. - Right on Grand Avenue to end.
Traveling North on US Hwy 101 from Santa Barbara and the Los Angeles - San Diego Area:
- Take 4th Street exit in Pismo Beach.
- Left on 4th Street - Right on Grand Avenue to end.
Pismo Beach's Hotels, Motels and RV booking and more:http://www.classiccalifornia.com/lodging.htm
http://www.oceanodunes.com or 800.444.7275
Pismo Beach is half way between San Francisco (SFO) and Los Angeles (LAX), about 3 1/2 hours by car. You can flly into our small airport: San Luis Obispo (SBP). Pismo Beach is on an expansive stretch of peaceful coastline. Discover why this area is known as one of the best secrets of California. Enjoy endless hours of outdoor activities including kiteboarding, paragliding, surfing, kayaking, ATV, Horseback riding, hiking and mt. biking. Lush valleys that produce some of the finest vintages of wines and champagnes in the United States lie within a few minutes drive from Pismo Beach.
For lodging, RV and camping options check out http://www.classiccalifornia.com/lodging.htm. You can also camp on the beach, which is available on a first come, first serve basis. A limited amount of passes are available for camping.
Additional Information of local hotels:
- KiteXPO 2011: The Oxford Suites Pismo Beach Hotel - http://www.oxfordsuitespismobeach.com will offer anyone coming in April 22 – 24, the following discounted rates for “XtremeBigAir Group” attendees follows. All rates include a full hot buffet breakfast as well an evening reception with beer, wine, and munchies and are based on double occupancy. . Oxford Suites Pismo Beach - Telephone: 805.773.3773
- King Suite: $116
- King Suite Pool View $125
- Double Queen Suite: $134
- Double Queen Suite Pool View: $143
- Rates are for up to two people in each suite; additional fees will apply for more than 2 persons in the room based on the following:
- $12 for adults 18 yrs and older
- $6 for youth from 13yrs old to 17 yrs old
- The property requires a 48 hr advance notice cancelation to avoid first night room and tax charge
Beach Comber Inn 805-773-5505 $109-1 Bed, $129-2 Beds
Pismo Beach Hotel 805-773-4445 $89-Queen, $99-King
Sea Venture Resort 800-662-5545 $189-Spa Deluxe Room
For more economical accommodations, try Motel 6 or Rose Garden Inn (rooms start at $40 double occ.). They are less than 10 minutes away from the event site.
We are locating in Shell Beach/Pismo Beach which is 10 miles south of San Luis Obispo or 100 Miles North of Santa Barbara or half way between Los Angeles(LAX) and San Francisco(SFO). You can fly into the local small airport in San Luis Obispo(SBP) from either LAX or SFO. If you have your own helicopter or small airplane, you can fly into Oceano Airport and we will pick you up.
Local accommodations, rv parks, and campgrounds can be found at: http://www.classiccalifornia.com/lodging.htm
There are many things that you can do here: surfing, paragliding, kayaking, mt. biking, scuba diving, rock climbing, hiking, deepsea fishing, wine tasting, atv, etc... Shell Beach/Pismo Beach is really a wonderful place to spend your vacation.