10th Annual XtremeBigAir's KiteXPO April 13 – 15, 2012 was a huge success. We had strong wind every day as early as 11 AM. Check out some of these links below.
10th Annual XtremeBigAir's KiteXPO April 13 – 15, 2012 - Pismo Beach - California
Brought to you by The Kiteboarder Magazine and XtremeBigAir.com
KiteXPO 2012 will be Friday April 13 – 15, 2012
This year’s event is the same location of last year at Grand Ave. Park in the lot by Fin’s Restaurant for free, or you can drive on the beach, downwind of the event area for $5/day.
- Registration will be at the 26″ trailer, sponsored by luv2camp.com. Look for the Xtreme Big Air and The Kiteboarder flags. Use the sidewalk that runs parallel to Grand and next to Fin’s restaurant to enter.
- All registrants must be intermediate level kiteboarders able to go upwind and self rescue. You should also feel comfortable navigating and riding in tight conditions. All registrants must sign waiver and provide credit card info in case of damage due to negligent usage or loss of gear. All credit card info is destroyed immediately following the event. Registration is from 8:45a until 3p daily.
DEMO HOURS FOR SUP AND KITE, RAFFLE TIMES
- SUP will be available for demo from 9a until 12noon or whenver the wind starts blowing.must be set up no later than 9a daily.
- Kite and accessory vendors will be ready starting at 11a. Official kite demo hours are 12p to 5p.
LUV2CAMP.com - http://luv2camp.com/whatWeDo.html is a great alternative if you want to camp on the beach!
Stand Up Surfing - SUP Demos!
A great way to get your water fix and exercise when there’s no wind, the SUP demo portion of the event will take place between 9a to 12 noon daily. Confirmed participants SUP Accessory: DaKine,C4, Naish, Surf Industries, Paddlesurf Hawaii (pending) and still growing!
- * Registration: Daily from 8:45a until 2p
- * Demo Hours: 9a to 12p or whenever the wind starts blowing!*
- * Skill Level: Use at your own risk. Need to be comfortable in the ocean, aware of others.
- * Other: Must sign waiver and provide credit card info security deposit to demo gear. Demos limited to 20 minutes unless otherwise arranged with vendor.
Free Demo 2012 Gear and Accessories!
Kite Demo Hours: 12p to 5p
With all the new innovations in kiteboarding, you won’t want to miss KiteXpo 2012!
Come test all the latest 2012 gear FOR FREE at the KiteXpo 2012 in Pismo Beach, California. Located halfway between Los Angeles and San Francisco, Pismo Beach is a perfect venue for a testing event. Pismo offers a wide sandy beach and 8 miles of coastline; enough room for manufacturers to showcase their full 2012 line and plenty of space for you to test all the new stuff! Don’t miss this opportunity to meet directly with kiteboarding manufacturers and ride the newest equipment at one of California's best and most consistent kiteboarding locations.
- SUP will be available for demo from 9am until 12noon or whenever the wind starts blowing.
- Kite and accessory vendors will be ready starting at 11am. Official kite demo hours are 12pm to 5pm.
- Raffles will be held daily. You do not need to present to win but any unclaimed prizes as of Sunday morning will be put back into Sunday’s final raffle. You do not have to be present to win on Sunday but you are responsible for picking up gear in Morro Bay area or shipping costs. All raffle proceeds to benefit the ThomasWong family.
- We will have a fundraiser BBQ on Saturday night. Details are being finalized and will be announced soon!
- We will also probably do a silent auction again on Sunday this year to help the fundraising efforts. Details coming soon….
This year’s event will be our second annual fundraising effort for Pismo Beach KiteXpo’s founder Kinsley ThomasWong of Xtreme Big Air in Pismo Beach, CA. Kinsley was involved in a serious kiteboarding accident on the Central Coast of California on July 15, 2010. While he has made amazing progress so far, his road to recovery has been very costly.
Kinsley and his wife Jamie have elevated so many lives with their amazing spirit and stoke for life. They have unwavering faith that Kinsley will fully recover and be able to help others with spinal cord injuries work through the many psychological, physical, and financial challenges that they will face.
You can help support Kinsley in a number of different ways:
Many people have asked how they can support Kinsley by donating products or services such as original/limited edition artwork, cases of wine, computer services, accommodations, etc. If you would like to donate an auction item valued at $250 retail or more, please contact email@example.com with “Kinsley Auction” in the subject line no later than March 30th, 2012.
Pismo Beach is half way between San Francisco (SFO) and Los Angeles (LAX), about 3 1/2 hours by car. You can also fly into the San Luis Obispo (SBP) airport. Pismo Beach is on an expansive stretch of peaceful coastline. Discover why this area is known as one of the best secrets of California. Enjoy endless hours of outdoor activities including kiteboarding, paragliding, surfing, kayaking, ATV, horseback riding, skydiving, hiking, and mountain biking. Lush valleys that produce some of the finest vintages of wines and champagnes in the United States lie within a few minutes drive from Pismo Beach.
For lodging, RV and camping options check out http://www.classiccalifornia.com/lodging.htm. You can also camp on the beach, which is available on a first come, first serve basis. A limited amount of passes are available for camping.
Directions to the KiteXPO at Pismo Beach:
Click for Driving Direction to GRAND Avenue - KiteXPO
Traveling south on US Hwy 101 from San Francisco and the Bay Area:
- Take 4th Street exit in Pismo Beach.
- Turn Left onto 4th Street. - Right on Grand Avenue to end.
Traveling North on US Hwy 101 from Santa Barbara and the Los Angeles - San Diego Area:
- Take 4th Street exit in Pismo Beach.
- Left on 4th Street - Right on Grand Avenue to end.
Additional Information for local hotels:
- Sand Castle Inn 800-822-6606: 20% discount if mention Pismo Kitexpo when making reservations. Rates good for Th – Su April 12-15, 2012 only. $175-Non View, $223-Ocean View, single our double, includes breakfast, parking, internet, beachfront access
Beach Comber Inn 805-773-5505: $109-1 Bed, $129-2 Beds microwave, coffeepot. Mini fridge in rooms, fireplaces, continental breakfast provide. Remodeled 2011. If book all seven rooms, ask for discount (no smoking or pets, 2 night minimum).
- Pismo Beach Hotel 805-773-4445: $89-Queen, $99-King
- Sea Venture Resort 800-662-5545: $189-Spa Deluxe Room
For more economical accommodations, try Motel 6 or Rose Garden Inn (rooms start at $40 double occ.). They are less than 10 minutes away from the event site.
Pismo Beach's Hotels, Motels and RV booking and more:http://www.classiccalifornia.com/lodging.htm
http://www.oceanodunes.com or 800.444.7275
We are locating in Shell Beach/Pismo Beach which is 10 miles south of San Luis Obispo or 100 Miles North of Santa Barbara or half way between Los Angeles(LAX) and San Francisco(SFO). You can fly into the local small airport in San Luis Obispo(SBP) from either LAX or SFO. If you have your own helicopter or small airplane, you can fly into Oceano Airport and we will pick you up.
There are many things that you can do here: surfing, paragliding, kayaking, mt. biking, scuba diving, rock climbing, hiking, deepsea fishing, wine tasting, atv, etc... Shell Beach/Pismo Beach is really a wonderful place to spend your vacation.